Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Latest Buzz

We have a newcomer to the flock! Actually, he's still in quarantine but he will be joining the flock in due time. Buzz (short for Buzzard - he came with his name) joined us yesterday. I have met this guy one other time back in February and fell completely in love with him. He's a whiteface male and belonged to a co-worker of my husband. When Scott and I went to pick up a car we purchased from him, I met Buzz. I cooed at him and made jokes that if they wanted to throw Buzz in with the deal, I'd be more than happy, and they actually seem to consider it for a moment! But the wife said they'd had him from an "egg" and weren't willing to part with him. I said I was only kidding but I love cockatiels and had (four) of my own. (At the time, Teika and Trinny were still in Michigan). The other day, Scott called me from work and said they'd offered to give up Buzz, cage and all, free of charge to me, because I'd loved him the minute I laid eyes on him, and they knew he needed a better home. Scott had to work, but Kirsten and I drove over last night, visited with them for a bit, thanked them profusely for allowing us to have Buzz, loaded him up and brought him home.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sitting high in his cage...

The Buzz man took well to the ride home. He seems to be pretty mellow for the most part. He sqeaked a bit, but Kirsten rode with hime in the back. We got him settled in her room for the quarantine period and he took his first looks around his new home. He didn't like her fish lamp so we unplugged it. He settled down quickly after that.

THe first order of business was to sort out the bag of supplies he came with. Kirsten was horrified to find a whole bag of Hartz cockatiel seed mix. That's like, the worst brand you can feed a bird. BLAH! Buzz is going to be four years old in December, and its amazing he's in the condition he is if he's been eating only that his entire life. He looks to be a little underweight but that can be easily fixed. The bag of seed mix went promptly into the trash, as did the nasty GRIT I found. I noticed it sprinkled about in the cage bottom as well. Oivay! At least he has a cuttlebone and mineral block, but he has obviously never had vegetables in his life. I affixed a sprig of parsley in his cage to see what he'd do, and he nearly jumped out of his feathers. Its my hope that if he doesn't acquaint himself with veggies in the time of quarantine, he will do so when he's with the flock as a matter of course, seeing THEM eat it.

Though he's unwilling to step up and doesn't want to be handled, he seems friendly and curious. He comes right up to the cage and interracts vocally.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This morning, I came into the room and offered him his cup of (UPGRADED) seeds - I'll convert him to pellets later after he's settled in - while I held it. He began flirting with me by holding his wings out in the shape of a heart and kissing at me. He said his name "Buzz-bird" and whistled bars from the Andy Griffith Show at Kirsten's prompting. What a little dude! After his courtship display was done, he stepped onto the seed cup and took a seed whilst I held the cup. So, there's definitely hope that he can be handled.

I have high hopes. If I can gain Neo's trust, I can gain Buzz's! hehehe! Neo was a tough nut to crack, and this guy is actually very sweet. He just hasn't been handled in a very long time. Neo was terrified of everything. A big difference there.

Here's Buzz getting curious about the camera...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
So Buzz is a beautiful boy, and once he's plumped up and certifiably healthy and out of quarantine, he'll have his pick of the ladies. I wonder if he'll bond with any particular birdy or if he will be a people bird? Only time will tell. In the meantime, he now replaces Teika as the eldest bird in the flock. On December 3, he will be 4 years old. What is it with December hatch dates? I guestimate that Apache was a December hatch, Taxi definitely was, I believe Teika was, and now Buzz. Weird huh? But then again, tiels DO go through a fall nesting period. Taxi has eggs in her cage to prove it. HAHA!

So.. welcome BUZZ! More to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home